Rich Man's purse
Based on 4 servings
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1/2 Chicken (1 pound)
cut into 4 pieces, skinned
1 tomato, peeled, seeded,
cut into 1/4-inch Cubes
1 green bell pepper,
cut into 1/4-inch Cubes
1 Small hot cherry pepper,
Seeded and diced, optional
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream (18%)
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup seltzer water
Approximately 1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 long Chives, dipped in very hot water
1 . In a large pot, heat the oiI. Sauté the onion until golden brown. Remove from the heat, add 1/2 cup of water and 2 teaspoons of sweet paprika and mix well. Return to the stove on low heat. Add the chicken, tomato and peppers and season to taste with salt. Cook, covered, for about 40 minutes until the meat is tender. Remove the chicken parts bone the chicken and cut the meat into small pieces.
2. Filter off the sauce into a clean pot. Add the residue vegetables to chicken pieces.
3. In a bowl mix 1/2 cup of sour cream, the heavy cream and the flour. Add the mixture to the sauce and bring to a boil.
This next step can be skipped.
4. Mix with 1 tablespoon of the sauce, the remaining 2 tablespoons of sour cream, the remaining teaspoon of paprika, and season to taste with salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Return to the pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
TESTED and updated by TOM Mar. 2003
Whisk together the flour, egg, milk, seltzer water and salt to taste until smooth. Heat a frying pan, smear it with oil and pour the crêpe batter into the hot pan so that it thinly and evenly covers the bottom of the pan. Turn the crepe over after approximately15 seconds. Cook for a few more seconds and lift from the pan.
Add more oil as necessary and cook the remaining batter to make 4 crêpes.Hungarian Crepes -Palacsinta
1. Divide the filling into 4 portions and spoon into the centre of each crêpe. Join the edges of each crepe to form a small bundle, crimping it at the top and fastening with a toothpick. (This can be done easier with two people, one tying and the other holding the purse).
2. Tie each bundle around its centre with a softened chive and transfer to a lightly oiled baking dish. Heat in apreheated 35O F oven for 4 or 5 minutes until crispy.
In a warm plate, ladle in a large spoonful of the sauce. Place the hot purse in the centre. You can decorate with chopped parsley. A serving of julienned carrots is also a nice touch.
Both the paprika chicken and the crêpe are traditional dishes of the Hungarian kitchen. Their combination in the Rich man's purse is a quite new, tasty, hot entrée. It is a stylish introduction to a satisfying lunch or dinner"Hungarian style".